When Is it Time to See an Allergy Specialist?

Allergy Specialist While mild hay fever can often be treated with at-home methods or over-the-counter allergy medications, many people suffer from allergies that require professional medical care. If you’re struggling from allergy symptoms that won’t go away on their own or with at-home care, it may be time to contact an allergy specialist

What is an Allergy Specialist?

An allergy specialist is a doctor who specializes in the treatment of allergic conditions, including allergies and asthma. It takes many years of training to become a board-certified allergist like Dr. Jaime Kratz at Kratz Allergy & Asthma. Board-certified allergists are the most qualified physicians to treat patients suffering from allergic diseases and pinpoint allergy triggers. 

When you visit an allergy specialist, you may receive allergy testing, guidance on how to prevent contact with triggers, allergy shots, and/or medications. Your allergist will recommend the best course of treatment to relieve your symptoms. 

Signs That You Need to See an Allergy Specialist

  1. You’re experiencing cold symptoms, such as nasal congestion, cough, and itchy, watery eyes that last for longer than two weeks. 
  2. You have allergy symptoms during several months of the year. 
  3. You’ve experienced an allergic reaction from food, medication, a pet, or a bug bite. 
  4. You’re experiencing symptoms of asthma, such as wheezing, chest tightness, persistent cough, and shortness of breath. 
  5. You’re experiencing an allergic rash, like hives or eczema. 
  6. You’re experiencing increased and/or new allergy symptoms after bringing a pet into your home. 
  7. You’ve had more than three infections of the ear, throat, lungs, or sinuses in the past year. 

Dr. Kratz is an allergy specialist who treats allergies, asthma, eczema, hives, sinusitis, contact dermatitis, and immunodeficiencies. If you have persistent allergy symptoms, schedule an appointment with Dr. Kratz today for a personalized treatment plan!