DUPIXENT for Clear Skin with Atopic Dermatitis
DUPIXENT is a specialty biologic treatment that may be an effective maintenance treatment method for atopic dermatitis. When topical prescription treatments don’t relieve symptoms from atopic dermatitis symptoms, it can help manage skin discomfort.
What Is Atopic Dermatitis?
Atopic dermatitis is the most prevalent form of eczema seen today. It’s an immunological disease that leads to excess inflammation. This inflammation can cause itchy patches on the surface of the skin, commonly on the face, hands, knees, neck, elbows, and ankles.
Moderate to severe atopic dermatitis may not be easily controlled by topical prescription therapies, as prescribed topical medications can trigger flare-ups. During a flare up, atopic dermatitis symptoms will worsen and lead to exacerbated skin discomfort.
What Is DUPIXENT?
DUPIXENT is the very first biologic treatment in its form used to manage moderate to severe atopic dermatitis. It can even help reduce symptoms between flare-ups when the skin appears to be clear.
Unlike many other eczema treatments, it is not a steroid or a cream. It’s a prescription medication in the form of an injection administered twice per month. The injection is taken under the skin to treat inflammation beneath the surface. It may be prescribed to adults and children ages 12 to 17.
How Does DUPIXENT Work?
DUPIXENT works to ease symptoms of atopic dermatitis by reducing inflammation from an overactive immune system. When inflammation in the body is reduced, symptoms of atopic dermatitis are lessened, and skin will appear more clear.
It works from the inside out to manage atopic dermatitis symptoms. This differs from a topical medication, which works from the outside in. By reducing inflammation before it reaches the surface of the skin and causes a flare-up, DUPIXENT can minimize skin discomfort in patients with eczema.
What Are the Benefits of DUPIXENT?
- Treatment alone can cause as much as 90 percent skin improvement in just 4 months.
- It can help to significantly reduce itchiness associated with atopic dermatitis symptoms.
- It works to fight underlying inflammation to stop flare-ups before they occur.
- It may help reduce symptoms in patients with moderate to severe eczema who continue to experience discomfort and flare-ups after using prescription topical treatment.
- It may be used in combination with topical corticosteroids.
- With instructions from your doctor, it may be self-injected at home for convenience and time-efficiency.
DUPIXENT can help manage itchiness, skin discomfort, and flare-ups caused by atopic dermatitis. Reach out to your doctor to learn more about this treatment option and see if it may be the right option for you.